The Cape Peninsula University of Technology was established on 1 January 2005, when the Cape Technikon and Peninsula Technikon merged. This merger was part of a national transformation process that transformed the higher education landscape in South Africa.
Today, this institution is the only university of technology in the Western Cape and is the largest university in the region, hosting more than 30 000 students, several campuses and service points and more than 70 programmes.
According to the Vice Chancellor Message to the CPUT staff and Students on the 18 February 2014: “In conclusion, I wish to inform you that CPUT has been ranked as the top university of technology in Africa. It secured 33rd place in the list of top 100 universities in Africa that was recently released by Ranking Web of Universities in the world (Webometrics).”
- CPUT is the largest university in the Western Cape Province.
- We have Six Faculties across Five Campuses
- Our Students population is +33000 from over 72 countries around the world
- We offer qualifications from National Certificate, National Diploma, Bachelors, Masters to Doctorate level
- The highest ranked University of Technology in SADC http://www.webometrics.info/en/Ranking_africa
- The only University of Technology in South Africa that is affiliated to the Golden Key Awards
- Majority of our partnerships are based in Europe
- Research output is on a steady increase in over 20 Research Centres
- Active International Office which supports both staff and students with mobility
CPUT is/was a partner university in several Erasmus Mundus Partnerships programmes, including the EUROSA programmes coordinated by the University of Antwerp.